Here's a link to a Hana Hou magazine article about Walter Ritte sent to me by a friend.
I didn't really "learn" Hawaiian history until sometime before graduating High School on the mainland. Not for class even. Sure, I learned about King Kamehameha and then Queen Liliu`okalani, and the ahupua`a system and fun games and the Hawaiian names for the fish and animals, but I never really learned Hawaiian history.
It was just reading actually. Most Local people (the ones who don't see living on the mainland as "escaping the rock") hunger for things Hawaiian. They'll frequent the "Hawai`i" stores. They'll eat at places selling plate lunches. They'll join hula halau. They'll paddle. Me? I just read.
I stumbled across the name Walter Ritte, shortly after reading about George Helm, Jr. and the PKO. PKO: Protect Kaho`olawe `Ohana. George Helm, Jr.'s was a story of sacrifice, a sacrifice for who and what I am today.
I stumbled across the name Walter Ritte in trying to define myself. He may or may not represent you, but he sees the world in a way I only can wish -- a true Hawaiian. The quote below isn't from the article, but it is purely Walter. In context, it refers to a fight in Hawai`i (specifically Moloka`i) in which a plot of land was allocated to builders in order to build condos. In an attempt to quiet the discontent, the planners which include the Office of Hawaiian Affairs (`AUE!) tried to trade land for land:

"Give up your daughter to save the family -- let her be a whore. That doesn't sell on Molokai. That's basically what the deal is," Ritte said. "We're not going to give up anybody in our family. We need the whole family to survive."
photo: Honolulu Advertiser

No comments:
Post a Comment